The Counselor-in-Training (CIT) Program is a two week Camp Seale Harris program, intended to prepare the individual for the leadership and responsibility of being a counselor. The number of CITs each year is limited by available bed space at camp. As a result, CITs are selected through a competitive application process based on their age, experience, and leadership potential.
During the first week of training, CITs stay together as a unit. They experience many of the traditional camp activities including ropes course, zip line, target sports, etc. In addition, they are assigned to help other camp staff, assist with special events, and provide special programs. During the second week of training, CITs are assigned to assist an experienced counselor in the supervision and management of a group of younger campers. The CIT is evaluated by the Camp Director, CIT Directors, and mentor counselors. Evaluation includes attitude, communication, values and character, program support, commitment to the mission, diabetes management, team work, and leadership ability. After the successful completion of the two week training program, CITs may be selected/invited to serve during other Camp Seale Harris programs as a CIT, or as a “Junior Counselor,” assisting an experienced counselor.
The program will be designed to:
- Provide each CIT with opportunities to gain additional knowledge of diabetes.
- Provide each CIT with opportunities to work with children and gain practical experience
in the care of children living with diabetes.
- Provide each CIT with opportunities to work with veteran staff and learn various
counseling and teaching techniques.
- Provide each CIT with opportunities to acquire new skills and refine existing ones
- Guide the CIT through the transition from camper to volunteer staff.
If you are interested in applying for the 2017 CIT program, please email email@example.com to request an application. You must complete the application and return it to camp before February 28, 2017. Applications received after this date may not be considered for the program due to the limited number of spaces. Along with the application you must enclose a recent photo and two letters of recommendation. The recommendations should come from individuals who are not related to you and only one may be from someone at camp. Applicants will be notified of the decisions by April 2017. Remember, even if you are not selected as part of the CIT program in 2017, you may still apply as a camper for Senior Camp or Coastal Camp Seale Harris. You can also apply to help at one of our day camp programs. If you are selected for the CIT program, more information will be sent to you.
You can choose ONE of the two CIT programs. The 2017 CIT Program at Camp ASCCA (during Senior and Junior Weeks) will be from Saturday, June 3, 2017 until Friday, June 16, 2017 (two weeks). The 2017 CIT Program in Mobile (during Coastal Camp Seale Harris) will be from Sunday, July 23 until Friday, July 28 (one week). First priority will be given to those who can be at camp for the entire program.
Those considering applying to become a CIT should:
- Be 16 -18 years of age. Preference is given to the oldest applicants.
- Have participated successfully as a camper in at least one Camp Seale Harris session.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Southeastern Diabetes Education Services, its mission, and its programs/activities (Camp Seale Harris Overnight and Day Programs).
- Be highly motivated to serve as positive role models for campers living with diabetes.
- Be familiar with diabetes care and management and demonstrate a desire to help campers gain better understanding and ability to manage their diabetes.
- Make a commitment to place the needs of campers ahead of their own.
If you should have any questions about applying for the CIT program, the program itself, or have any camp questions, please do not hesitate to contact John Latimer at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 205-402-0415.
We hope to see you in 2017!